Apricot, Vanilla, and Cardamom Pie with Rye Lattice-Top Crust
Why This Recipe WorksLeaving the skins on the apricots kept the slices intact during baking; we thickened the apricot juice with cornstarch to make a translucent, sliceable gel. For a rye crust that was both flaky and tender, we waterproofed some of the flour with butter so it couldn't form gluten and therefore remained tender. The remaining flour was hydrated with water, so it formed plenty of gluten and baked up flaky.
|20||tablespoons (2½ sticks) unsalted butter, chilled, divided|
|1 ½||cups (8¼ ounces) rye flour|
|1||teaspoon table salt|
|1||cup (5 ounces) all-purpose flour|
|½||cup ice water, divided|
|1||cup (7 ounces) sugar|
|1||teaspoon grated lemon zest plus 1 tablespoon juice|
|¼||teaspoon ground cardamom|
|¼||teaspoon table salt|
|2 ½||pounds apricots, pitted and cut into ½-inch wedges|
|1||large egg, lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon water|
Step by Step
Weaving a Lattice Top
1. Evenly space 4 dough strips across top of pie, parallel to counter edge.
2. Fold back first and third strips almost completely. Lay 1 strip across pie, perpendicular to counter edge.
3. Unfold first and third strips over top of perpendicular strip.
4. Fold back second and fourth strips and add second perpendicular strip. Unfold second and fourth strips.
5. Repeat, alternating between folding back first and third strips and second and fourth strips and laying remaining strips evenly across pie.
6. Trim lattice ends, press edges of bottom crust and lattice strips together, and fold under. Crimp dough evenly around edge of pie.
Per Serving (Serves 8)
Calories 578; Cholesterol 99 mg; Fat 30 g; Sodium 379 mg; Saturated 18 g; Carbs 73 g; Trans 1 g; Dietary Fiber 5 g; Monounsaturated 7 g; Sugar 41 g; Polyunsaturated 1 g; Protein 6 g