- Groats sliced into three or four pieces by steel blades.
- Also called Irish or "pinhead" oats.
- Cooking Time: 10-20 minutes
- Groats coarsely stone ground.
- Also called Scotting or "porridge" oats.
- Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Old-Fashioned or Rolled Oats
- Groats steamed and rolled flat (or "flaked").
- Cooking Time: 5-20 minutes
- Steel-cut oats steamed and rolled to one third (or less) the thickness of regular rolled oats.
- Cooking Time: 1 minute
- Very finely cut groats rapidly cooked and rolled flat.
- Cooking Time: Instant