How to Substitute Dairy Products
Here are some tips for effectively substituting dairy products.
recipeCoconut Cream Pie
Whole Milk and Half-and-Half
Use these formulas to substitute one dairy product for another.
To Replace: 1 cup whole milk
- 5⁄8 cup skim milk + 3⁄8 cup half-and-half
- 2⁄3 cup 1% milk + 1⁄3 cup half-and-half
- 3⁄4 cup 2% milk + 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 7⁄8 cup skim milk + 1⁄8 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk + 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2⁄3 cup skim or low-fat milk + 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
Evaporated milk can be used in place of heavy cream in soups and sauces, but is not suitable for whipping or baking recipes.
To Replace: 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup evaporated milk
All Cook's Illustrated recipes are tested with large eggs, but substitutions are possible. For half of an egg, whisk the yolk and white together and use half of the liquid.
Use the formulas above to substitute one dairy product for another.
Evaporated milk can be used in place of heavy cream to enrich soups and sauces.
Use our calculations to find substitutions for large eggs.