How to Substitute Dairy Products
Here are some tips for effectively substituting dairy products.
recipeCoconut Cream Pie
Substituting dairy ingredients can get dicey. Can you replace milk with half-and-half? How do you measure half an egg? Here are tips for dairy substitutes.
SUBSTITUTING FOR WHOLE MILK AND HALF-AND-HALF
Use these formulas to substitute one dairy product for another.To Replace: 1 cup whole milk
- 5⁄8 cup skim milk + 3⁄8 cup half-and-half
- 2⁄3 cup 1% milk + 1⁄3 cup half-and-half
- 3⁄4 cup 2% milk + 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 7⁄8 cup skim milk + 1⁄8 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk + 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2⁄3 cup skim or low-fat milk + 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
SUBSTITUTING FOR HEAVY CREAM
Evaporated milk can be used in place of heavy cream in soups and sauces, but is not suitable for whipping or baking recipes.To Replace: 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup evaporated milk
SUBSTITUTING FOR EGGS
Use the formulas above to substitute one dairy product for another.
Evaporated milk can be used in place of heavy cream to enrich soups and sauces.
Use our calculations to find substitutions for large eggs.