A Different Way to Chop Onions
The most widely known method for chopping an onion involves making a series of vertical and then horizontal cuts, the latter requiring cutting toward the hand holding the onion. Here’s a different method that’s just as fast but doesn’t require the horizontal cuts, which some cooks don’t like to make.
1. Halve onion through root end and peel. Make several vertical cuts, starting 1 inch from root end.
2. Extend middle cut to divide onion half into 2 even quarters.
3. Flip quarters onto newly cut sides, then align quarters so that vertical cuts are horizontal.
4. Make vertical cuts as in step 1, starting 1 inch from root end.
5. Cut across onion quarters to dice. Repeat with remaining onion half.