Fitting Pie Dough
An imperfect pie dough can be saved with a little last-minute tweaking.
How ToKeys to Foolproof Pie Dough
For A Single-Crust Pie
1. Trim dough, leaving ½-inch overhang.
For A Double-Crust Pie
1. Unroll untrimmed top piece of dough over filled pie, taking care not to stretch it and create thin spots. Trim overhanging edges of both crusts to about ½ inch.
2. Press edges of top and bottom crusts together well to prevent leaking, then fold edges underneath to make flush with lip of pan. Crimp edges.
3. Use a sharp knife or biscuit cutter to cut vents in top.
• For drier fruit fillings like apple, cut four 1-inch slits.
• For juicier fillings such as blueberry (which need more ventilation to encourage evaporation), cut more slits. Alternatively, punch wider holes with a biscuit cutter before transferring top crust to pie plate.