Garlic-Lemon Green Beans with Toasted Bread Crumbs
Published November 1, 2003.
Why this recipe works:
To develop a streamlined green bean recipe that would employ just one pot and still yield tender beans and a flavorful sauce, we built the sauce in the pan first and then added the beans and some chicken broth (instead of water) for flavor.
To develop a streamlined green bean recipe that would employ just one pot and still yield tender beans and a flavorful sauce, we built the sauce in the pan first and then added the beans and some chicken broth (instead of water) for flavor.less
- 2 slices high-quality sandwich bread slice (such as Pepperidge Farm), each slice torn into quarters
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 medium cloves garlic, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans, stem ends trimmed
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice from 1 lemon
1. Process bread in food processor to even, fine crumbs, about ten 1 second pulses. Heat 1 tablespoon butter in 12 inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; when melted, add breadcrumbs and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to medium bowl and stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and Parmesan; set aside.
2. Wipe out skillet. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until garlic is golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in flour, red pepper flakes, and thyme, and then toss in green beans. Add chicken broth and increase heat to medium-high; cover and cook until beans are partly tender but still crisp at center, about 4 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender and sauce has thickened slightly, about 4 minutes. Off heat, stir in lemon juice, and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Transfer to serving dish, sprinkle evenly with breadcrumbs, and serve.